Wednesday, January 4, 2012

No Broth, No Problem

I have a meeting tonight so I wanted to get things ready for dinner to be ready really quickly. It's January at Weight Watchers, who knows when I'll get home!

I took out some cooked turkey I had in the freezer, and thought it would be a good idea to soak some bulgur to go with it. All that would be left to do is to prep some veggies. I snap really!

Only problem was, I had no broth! I've been meaning to buy some chicken and vegetable broth (or granules) but never got around to it. I hate to cook grains in water, it tastes like nothing. Now what? No time to go to the store, come back, get it all ready. Defeats the purpose really! I decided to get creative! 

I put 1.5 cup of hot water in a Pyrex measuring cup. I added a few branches of thyme, 2 cloves of garlic, sliced, and a few pinches of cumin seeds. I threw it all in the microwave for 2 minutes. Then I let it sit for 5 minutes to steep, and then brought it to a boil in the microwave.

While I was doing all that, I was thinking that the one thing that bugs me about my idea is that I hate to have spices and chunks of stuff in my bulgur. It's tasty, but not really pretty so I had a flash of genius and decided to strain the whole thing before adding the "broth" to the 1 cup of bulgur I had in my tupperware. 



Et Voila! I have naturally flavored water! The smell alone was delicious! We'll see what it tastes like. :o)

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment