Monday, January 9, 2012

Butternut squash-tomato soup

I've been having a cooking attack and I'm certainly not going to do anything to stop it! I'm enjoying this and the food is actually pretty darned good!

Today I was roasting veggies for my lunch, and I decided to double up and roast a butternut squash I had sitting around. I chopped it, spiced it (complete recipe below) and roasted it.



Then I sliced 2 garlic cloves and quick a bit of fresh ginger (2 TBSP at least) and half an onion. I sauteed the onion at high temp, and then added the ginger and garlic. When those got fragrant, I added the leftover spices and 30 seconds later threw in a can of petite diced tomato (drained) and mixed that well.



A minute or so later, I threw in the butternut squash, and cooked for a minute or two.



Finally I added the broth, salt and pepper, and simmered for 10 minutes or so.



Once it was all done cooking, I used my trusty immersion blender to puree the whole thing.



It was delicious and even better reheated!

Butternut squash-tomato soup
4 servings, 0P+/serving

1 butternut squash, in chunks
Spice: 1 tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 pinch clove, 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper (divided)
1 tsp canola oil
1/2 onion (or 1 small), thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 TBSP ginger thinly sliced
1 can petite diced tomato, drained
salt to taste


  • Preheat oven to 375 F. 
  • Lay the squash chunks in one layer on a cookie sheet. Spray with olive oil or cooking spray, sprinkle half the spices on the squash moving it around to coat. Roast until starting to turn brown (a little blackening is ok, but not too much). Set aside.
  • Spray a small Dutch oven, heat up to medium-high heat, swirl the oil and add onions. Cook for a few minutes until just starting to brown. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant. Add the rest of the spices and cook 30 seconds or so. 
  • Add the tomatoes, and mix well. Add the squash and mix well to coat. Put in the broth salt a bit more pepper if needed and cook 10 minutes at a moderate simmer.
  • Turn off the heat and process with an immersion blender (or in a blender in batches, careful it's hot!).


So simple, so easy, so delicious! Tell me healthy cooking is complicated! It is NOT!

Happy Cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment