Friday, December 16, 2011

Pineapple Guava Bread

Last year my friend gave me a few Pineapple Guavas to taste and I thought they were great, so this year when she offered to give me some I jumped at the chance. Well, I got a lot of them! 

 This is what I had leftover fruits after my cooking attack today!

After a few minutes of "what on earth am I gonna do with this?" I looked online for ideas. In a forum somebody mentioned using this in a bread instead of bananas. Now I had been meaning to make my banana bread for a while, so here we go! Now the original recipe is from Cooking Light (November 2007 I believe) but I thought that version was still a little too fatty, so I played with the butter vs apple juice content and the spices until I got it to where I wanted it. So I believe I changed it around enough to where it's mine... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!


This time around, I changed the fruit, I doubled the recipe, and I added chopped up crystallized ginger. I was alone at home when I made this, so my hands were too dirty to take pictures of the process, but the sun was hitting my kitchen this afternoon so I'm purty proud of my "after" pictures! Here's the recipe!

This is Bread #1 right out of the oven 

Pineapple Guava Bread
Makes 2 Bread
Per Bread: 8 servings*, 4 pts/serving

Ingredients
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 cup bron sugar
1/4 Cup butter
6 TBSP Apple Sauce unsweetened
1 cup egg beater
3 cup, white flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
2 cup pineapple Guava, chopped
2 TBSP crystallized ginger, chopped small
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Cooking spray
Nutmeg (whole for grating)

1- Preheat over at 350F

2- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl, beat with a mixer at medium speed until well mixed, add apple sauce and beat a little more. Add eggs beater slowly while mixing well.

3- Sift flour and baking soda and spices together and add to the wet mixture alternating with the yogurt. You want to start and finish with the flour. Do not over-mix! The more you mix, the denser it will be.

4- Fold in the pineapple guava, ginger, and vanilla extract and pour the whole thing in 2 9X5 inch pan that you pre-sprayed with cooking spray. Grate nutmeg on top before putting in the oven.

5- Bake for about 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 8-10 minutes in the pan, then remove to a wire rack and cool completely.

*The original recipe was 10 serving per bread which would be 3 pts here. To me those slices are too thin. I want a REAL slice!

Source: Adapted (a lot) from Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2007 p. 407 (November 2007) 

This is Bread #2 right out of the oven!

So once it was completely cooled, I wrapped one of the bread in plastic, then foil, then plastic again just to be sure, and put it in the freezer. the other one is waiting for my husband to be tasted. I know better than start without him, there'd be none left by the time he makes it home!!

Half of the leftover fruits got peeled and diced, frozen on a cookie sheet and then "zipploc-ed" for future smoothies. The other half will be eaten tomorrow.

Soooo, if anybody has more of those to share, I'm in!! :o) I'll come back and comment on the taste once I have actually tasted it! ;op

Added Note: After tasting it, both my husband and I think it's absolutely a winner! Thankfully I froze one of them already!

Be good n stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment