Sunday, November 28, 2010

4 Grains Tomato soup

This is a soup that I found on fatfreevegan.com years ago and to this day I don’t think I ever followed the original recipe.

It’s an awesome base for a very filling and healthy soup that you can modify endlessly. I have added sausage or chicken to it (even beef once), I changed the spices, I changed the grains, you get the picture. I have even made this with curry powder and added cumin. YUM!!


4 Grains Tomato soup

2 meals (5p+) or 4 starters (3p+)

2 tablespoons each: barley brown rice, millet, and bulgur wheat
2 cups canned, diced tomatoes w/ juice
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon onion powder and dill
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, basil, and salt
1 carrots, chopped (1 to 2)
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth

In a medium saucepan, sauté the vegetables in oil over medium heat until soft - 5 to 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to minimum, cover, and simmer for about an hour until grains are tender (pot barley takes the longest to cook). You may need to add some extra water toward the end of the cooking time.

No comments:

Post a Comment